Tuesday, September 29, 2020

No Bones About It

 

Well, maybe a couple of bones.

    Now, I know I said I was going to start with Necrons, but the muse thought differently. I sat down to work on some Necron Warriors, but a couple of undercoated wight kings called to me from their shelf. First up we have one of Gary Morley's fantastic Wights from the 90s. It's a great sculpt that has lots of character without some of the silliness you get in some of the other older Warhammer guys. I'll be using him as a Wight King with Black Axe. Excuse fingers, as I haven't gotten a light box for pictures yet. 


.
Front

Back

    In the lore, wights have powerful curses woven into their weapons, and I tried to capture this with a green-y glow. I built up several coats of thinned Waywatcher Green glaze (now sadly out of production) until I was satisfied. 

Spooky green axe. 


  Next up is the current plastic Wight King. For me this guy is the perfect balance of detail. Not too many gewgaws and wotsits, but also not completely bereft of life. Well, so to speak...


Front

Side with cape.
 Serious Spawn vibes from his billowing cape.

Spooky green sword. 


    Well that's it for this update. I hope y'all enjoyed it. Next time, I'll have either some space skeletons, or some regular type skeletons. Thanks for looking and I'll see y'all next time.


2 comments:

  1. I love this old metal sculpt - I might have to get myself one of those as well! The newer Wight King also looks cool. Do you simply have to cut away the square base to mount him on a round one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just flattened down the base with clippers and put the whole thing on a round one

      Delete